- Superboy had a group of school friends over for a playdate. Made snickerdoodles for them. The weather was beautiful and they ran around outside for hours.
- Hunter went on a hunting trip with Benton & Ben. I remember he was gone the day of President Obama's inauguration. (random inauguration thoughts: Loved the first lady's dress. Gorgeous. Loved Yo-Yo Ma. Really enjoyed listening to Elizabeth Alexander read Praise Song for the Day.)
- Dad, Mom, and Joe came for a visit. Mom got to stay a bit longer. She was here for Superboy's Pinewood Derby Tournament (Cub Scouts.)
- Tried to make decisions about the children's schools for '09-'10. Observed classes at ICS.
- Pumpkin had her friend Hailey over for a playdate. I remember that the weather was sunny and beautiful that day and I let them pick a few daffodils.
- Attended Timothy's confirmation service. (Timothy is the oldest child of all the children in our community group.) His public profession of faith had a big impact on both Pumpkin and Superboy. Great conversations afterwards.
- Started blogging with my sister--yippee! And here we are, 195 posts later.
- Game night at our house. "Bowls" and Catchphrase.
- Went to sunrise service on Easter morning. Had students over for lunch. Lovely and wonderful.
- Watched baby birds grow up and fly away.
- Visited retirement home with the children's music class. Sang songs. Played glockenspiels.
- Summer conference '09 in Florida. So much fun on the beach.
- Daddy's "Mozart in the Morning challenge": We (family members) had to listen to the CD and assign a family member to each song. And justify our choices. What a great challenge. I loved it.
- Superboy and I spent the night with my grandmother, Nannie. Just the three of us for dinner. Lots of great time for visiting.
- Next, Pumpkin and I spent the night with Nannie. Ditto. Just the three of us for dinner. Lots of great time for visiting.
- Nannie and I stayed up each of those nights talking through our family's history. I took notes on a yellow legal pad. (The yellow legal pad just happened to be what I had with me...later, I thought it was a paper choice that Granddaddy would've really approved of.) :-)
- VBS at Covenant. Allison and I helped with the 3 yr old class.
- Pops on the River for 4th of July. Sonic afterwards. Then, on to Robert & Allison's house for more fireworks.
- Gram, Aunt Beva, Aunt Camie, and the cousins came to our house for a visit. Slip-n-slide in the backyard. Frisbee in the front yard. Playing at the park. Had a yummy picnic (with Chinese Chicken Salad) at the pool. And had birthday cake for Gram's birthday.
- Took the children to various appointments: annual check-up at dr, visit to the dentist
- Enjoyed delicious produce from our first ever backyard vegetable garden. One night we had a taste test--We just happened to have a container of store-bought cherry tomatoes. And we also had our basket of homegrown cherry tomatoes. We took turns blindfolding each other to do a taste test. Could we tell the difference between the two? The answer is: you can tell whether it's homegrown or storebought before the tomato ever touches your lips. I promise, it's true. There's a fresh/peppery/green/delicious fragrance that radiates from the homegrown tomato.
- Pumpkin started her gymnastics class.
- Massive flooding in our city. School cancelled due to flooding on 9/22.
- Robert & Allison were passing through town & stopped to stay with us for one night. Allison and I usually drink a cup of coffee together in the a.m.. When I asked her what she wanted in her coffee, she sort of grinned and said, "well, I'm not drinking coffee right now." WHAT??? I knew in that instant that she was telling me big news. "You're pregnant?!?!" Yes!...We had to immediately rush in and wake up Hunter to tell him the big news. Hooray!
- Girlfriend getaway weekend with Marsha Kay and Jenny Beth. We went to Gram & Papa's log cabin. So cozy & so many great conversations. Pretty much one entire weekend of non-stop conversation, actually.
- Hunter & Superboy went on a Cub Scout campout. Lots of dads and growing boys. Superboy brough his pocket knife and whittled a stick into a spear. Sat around the campfire telling spooky stories. Hunter said that Superboy waited really patiently and then stood up to tell his story (which he made up on the spot.)
- Thanksgiving feast with Pumpkin's kindergarten group (at Amy's house.)
- Thanksgiving feast with our community group (at Jonathan & Rebecca's house.)
- Thanksgiving feast on Thanksgiving (at Jonathan & Susie's house.)
- Superboy's first performance in a church Christmas pageant. Pumpkin sat beside me and recited every word of the entire script as it was performed. :-) (from having listened to the CD.)
- Pumpkin & her kindergarten group performed a precious Christmas pageant as well. My favorite part was when they sang Away in a Manger.
- Celebrated the birth of our Savior!
+ + + +
Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.
--words by Thomas Chisholm
+ + + +
God of the ages, history's maker--
Planning our pathway, holding us fast--
Shaping in mercy all that concerns us--
Father, we praise you, Lord of the past.